Friday, January 13, 2012

Step It Up

Okay, so I was looking back through my blog roll and I noticed I only had 72 posts for the last 3 years. I feel like I can do better than that. So here we go. What do I want to talk about? This is totally a stream of consciousness post. No telling what will come out. No telling if anything will come out. Okay, so nothing's coming out.

I'm getting pressure from a couple of sources to resume my short story writing. This is problematic for me as I have just taken up woodworking, as I mentioned in my last post. I enjoy both pastimes, but the workshop is new and exciting, whereas the writing is something I'm a little more experienced at. It's kind of like when you start playing an instrument. When you first learn where to put your fingers, how to make the notes on the page form a melody, it's very exciting. Once you're over that initial excitement however, it becomes a bit tedious. The amount of effort required to improve the quality of your performance is very daunting. Frequent practices, lessons, etc make it seem easier to simply accept your current proficiency.

It's this way with my writing. I know how good I am (eh), and I know to get better I'm going to have to spend a lot of time on a lot of really bad stories before I'm able to produce something anyone would actually want to read. So it's easier to focus on my new hobby, and develop those initial skills and enjoy the fruit of that easy labor. Maybe my writing here and my regurgitation of whatever pops into my head will aid me in developing my skills as an author. I apologize to any of you who are left to slog through the nonsense I produce between now and then.

No comments:

Post a Comment